Thinking of silicone-made accessories? or trying out new accessories made of silicone in your air fryer. Bit confused? To use it or not? We got your answer here.
Can I Put Silicone Accessories into my Air Fryer?
Yes, silicone accessories can be used in an air fryer. Silicone is a sort of rubber or plastic that can bear high temperatures. It can resist temperatures up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
So, ideally, the heat found in an air fryer or oven cannot damage the silicone because it’s less likely to melt or flake like other plastics and rubbers.
Therefore, if you are planning to use silicone-based accessories then it’s a perfectly safe option to go for.
Advantages of using silicone accessories
The advantages of using silicone accessories are far more than the normal accessories. Let’s find out what are those advantages:
- Silicone-made accessories are cheaper than steel, aluminum or non-stick materials.
- They are non-stick in nature.
- Quick and easy to clean.
- Very simple to use.
- So much light in weight as compared to other materials.
- It is durable and can last for years.
- Equally safe for microwave ovens.
- Available in different attractive colors and designs.
- Easily available online or offline in stores.
- Easy to maintain.
Since it has so many advantages we would recommend you to give it a try. It’s easily available in the market or you can buy it online as well.
Disadvantages of using silicone accessories
Like every product, silicone-based accessories are also having some disadvantages or drawbacks. But they are not too severe.
1- The disadvantage of using silicone accessories in your air fryer is that they do not release the heat properly into the surrounding.
Which ultimately, increases the cooling time. It means you need more time for them to cool down before handling them (and touching anything else).
2- The other thing which can be considered a disadvantage is that silicon is a semiconductor in nature, which means it acts as a semiconductor of heat too. Ultimately, increasing the cooking time.
Should I give it a try?
Why not? Definitely give it a try. It’s so easy to use. The best part about this material silicone is that it doesn’t allow food to stick to the surface. The chances of sticking cake, muffin, bread, etc. minimize to approximately zero.
Secondly, it’s the cheapest as compared to other non-stick moulds. You do not need to invest extra on just molds by purchasing these silicone-based accessories.
More Read: Can you put a plate in an air fryer?
Is silicone accessory risky in any way?
Yes. It can be risky if used inappropriately or mishandled. Although it’s human-friendly material, it doesn’t emit radiation or harmful chemicals but if there is unnecessary access of silicone in your body through food, it can cause some health issues. This could only happen when you exceed the temperature above 500 Fahrenheit and silicone would melt and incorporate with the food. Rather than this condition, if you are having a good quality silicone accessory then it won’t harm you.
Is there any health hazard of using silicone-made accessories?
Not at all. Silicone is a human-friendly material that doesn’t harm humans in any way. In fact, it is one of the safest materials to use as compared to plastics.
It is even not the actual rubber which again makes it non-toxic for the human body. If you or someone is allergic to latex, this could be a suitable material to use.
Moreover, it’s highly stable in high temperatures like 450 degrees Fahrenheit or above. It doesn’t emit any harmful chemicals as well, like plastics, so no need to worry if you are using silicone accessories.
Is silicone FDA approved?
Yes, silicone material is approved by the FDA as it doesn’t emit any harmful chemicals, radiation or substances that might hurt humans in any case. It’s a non-toxic material that can be easily used to cook your food in high temperatures. Thus, it is safe to use in air fryers also.
More Read: Parchment paper in an air fryer
Hacks to use silicone accessories:
If you want to make your experience fantastic with silicone accessories then must try these little hacks and thank us later.
- First of all, be careful of the right material and make sure you are buying silicone accessories. It should be of good quality, thick, sturdy, and smell-free. A good quality silicone never smells and tastes like chemicals. Don’t be fooled by the cheapest products with bad quality.
- Always wash or clean them before and after each use.
- Grease the accessory before cooking. Greasing is not required in Silicone Accessories but if you grease it then it will give you some extra easiness and smoothness.
- Do not put silicone-based accessories directly on fire or flame. It will damage or melt the accessory.
- After taking out the hot accessory from the air fryer or microwave, let it cool first. Then take out the baked or cooked item after cooling.
- Wash them with your hands instead of the dishwasher. Although silicone accessories are dishwasher safe, they will not be as clean as they should be after some time. So, prefer hand washing for perfect cleaning and this could increase the life of accessories too.
- Since its a kind of rubber-based material so it should be handled carefully. It can easily be cut into pieces with a knife or some sharp tools.
Silicone is not a harmful material for the human body. It is non-toxic and non-allergic. It has the tendency to resist up upto 450 degrees Fahrenheit which makes it quite the safest option for air frying, cooking, and baking. Be careful with the temperature, do not exceed 500 Fahrenheit as it can melt or can change the shape of the silicone accessories. Otherwise, it’s the cheapest, easiest and simplest option to go for. If you are thinking or planning to use it then we would recommend you to give it a try. It won’t disappoint you.